We often get asked how probiotics work. How do they clean? Is it as simple as saying that “they eat the dirt”?
To answer those questions, Genesis Biosciences’ Peter Wallbank talks you through the process!
In other words, they’re not ‘eating the dirt’ per se. As microorganisms, they survive and replicate by finding energy sources. They produce enzymes which break down complex organic molecules into energy sources that are more freely available– and they do this by looking for nutrients on whatever surface they’re applied on.
This allows them to replicate on surfaces repeatedly over time. That’s also the key to their hygienic properties, because as the number of probiotics grows, so does their ability to crowd out more harmful microbes by taking up space and consuming the same nutrients the bad bacteria otherwise would.
So rather than a one-off purge with harsh chemicals, our cleaning range introduces living beneficial organisms that will clean more efficiently within the environment rather than against it. Where harsh chemicals try to lift the dirt, probiotics are breaking it down. In turn, this allows for a more thorough longer-lasting cleaning process.
Explore more about probiotics
- FAQ: What does ‘probiotic’ actually mean? (video)
- FAQ: Why are probiotic cleaners better than harsh chemicals? (video)
- FAQ: How probiotics can benefit large-scale manufacturers & formulators (video)
- FAQ: What are the wider benefits of probiotic cleaners? (video)
- How probiotic cleaning products keep the office healthy
- Probiotic cleaners VS chemical cleaners: Which is better? [infographic]
Find out more from our award-winning biosciences team
Delve deeper into our staff profiles
- Staff Profile: Franziska Nagel, R&D Scientist
- Staff Profile: Emma Saunders, General Manager – Europe
- Staff Profile: Vanessa Jones, Food Safety and Regulatory Coordinator
Learn more about the changing landscape of hygiene & cleaning with our Scientific Infographics
- 9 things you didn’t know about feminine hygiene bins
- Mythbuster: Is a clean-smelling bathroom always clean?
- Probiotic cleaners VS chemical cleaners: which is best?
To find out more about Genesis Biosciences, visit our About page.
If you’d like news from us delivered straight to your inbox, sign up to our regular newsletter.